Apple Pie Cookies
FOR THE PIE FILLING
- 3 lbs Diced Apples Honey crisp or Golden Delicious work best
- ⅔ cup Sugar Additional 2 tbsps to sprinkle on
- ¼ cup Unsalted butter
- 2 tbsps Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ Cup Unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch Nutmeg
FOR THE PIE CRUST
- 2 ½ Cups Cake & Pastry Flour Plus extra for dusting
- 16 ybs Unsalted Butter hilled
- 4 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 4 tbsp Ice Water
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp All-Spice
- ½ tsp Ginger
- 1 Egg
- 1 tbsp Cream
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Cream
- 5 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 pinch salt
MAKE THE CARAMEL
- Combine ingredients in small pot and heat over medium-low heat while whisking. Cook 7-8 minutes. You will notice when the caramel begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
MAKE THE FILLING
- Take your diced a[[les and put them in a large bowl then add the sugar, spices and lemon juice. Toss them around to make sure they are evenly coated. Now in a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the apples and cook stirring until the sugar dissolves and it begins to simmer, about 2 minutes. Cover it up, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the apples soften and release most of their juices, about 7 minutes.
- Strain the apples in a colander over a medium bowl to catch all the juice. Shake the colander to get as much liquid as possible. Return the juices to the skillet, and simmer over medium heat until thickened and lightly caramelized, about 8-10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, toss the apples with the reduced juice and spices. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, and spices. Whisk together. Grate in chilled butter and drizzle in ice cold water. Mix using a fork. You can also whiz together in a food processor.
- Cut into 2 equal parts. Transfer and cover in plastic wrap and let them chill for 20 minutes
- Crack an egg into a small bowl and add a tablespoon of cream them mix well and chill until ready to use for egg wash.
- Roll your pastry dough out to about 1/4" thick. One half of the dough is for the bases and the other half is for the lattice tops. You will probably want to chill the dough for the lattice tops until just before cutting the strips and arranging on top.
- Using a 4 inch circular cookie cutter, cut out dough. Transfer your cut outs to your cookie baking pan lined with wax paper. (You can have fun and use other cookie cutter shapes too.
- Brush with caramel.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of the apple pie filling to the center of each circle. Brush edge with egg wash.
- Cut out lattice tops, (Fancy word for the strips that cover pies) Place or weave the lattice top and brush with egg wash again. Cut off any remaining.
- Sprinkle with sugar (I prefer brown sugar for this bit) and cinnamon if desired and bake at 350F for about 20-25 minutes until golden brown.